There is no denying that pests are a real nuisance in every home all year round. Pests like mosquitos, ants, termites, and flies are the typical annoyance you face during spring and summer. When the weather is warm, expect them to visit your home since this is their favorite time of the year.
But they can also cause problems during the winter season. Yes, some pests are present during the colder season. As mentioned above, they are present all year round.
Pests During Winter
We all know that many animals hibernate during the winter season. It’s their way of conserving energy and saving themselves from the harsh cold weather. They will stay in hibernation until the spring thaw.
Pests are no different during winter. It is why their number is not relatively high during this time. Like animals, they also hibernate, but the proper term to use is diapause. When pests diapause, they suspend their body’s development.
They will stay as eggs, larvae, pupae, or adults until the winter season passes.
You might ask, how can this affect you?
The winter season can be an inhospitable time of the year for humans, animals, insects, and pests. They will try hard to find a place where they can stay while in diapause. They might burrow themselves underground, in tree trunks, under logs, and even at your home.
Remember, they will remain there during the winter season.
What Are the Common Pests During Winter?
Various pests can enter your home during winter. They can be pests looking for a safe place to diapause or pests simply looking for a warm place with a regular food supply. Here are the common winter pests you need to look out for during the colder season.
- Rodents. Rodents are one of the common pests during winter. Because of the freezing temperature outside, they will seek refuge inside your home, specifically in your walls for warmth and your pantry for food.
- Cockroaches. Although they are already present throughout the year, you will notice an increase in their numbers at your home. It is because they prefer a warm and moist environment with a regular supply of food during the cold season.
- Silverfish. This small but terrible pest will take refuge at your home during winter because they also like warm and humid places. You will find them in your wallpaper and bookshelves because they love consuming paper.
- Carpet Beetles. This creepy crawlies got their name because they literally feed on carpets. The carpet beetle larvae feed on dead animals. Also, they consume animal products such as wool, silk, leather, fur, hair brushes with natural bristles, pet hair, and feathers that are present at home. It is the reason why they invade homes during winter.
Tips to Prevent Pests from Entering your Home
If you are prepping for the winter season, here are some tips you can use to prevent winter pests from entering your lovely home.
- Find all the holes, cracks, and crevices where pests can enter. Seal them all up.
- Pest can find ways into your home, especially if their motivation is food. Ensure to store your food properly because it is one of the sources why you have pests at home.
- Ensure that you don’t bring pests from the outside, especially when you decorate for the holiday season.
- Call a professional. If you are still doubtful whether you did all the necessary things to prevent winter pests, seek professional pest control services.
If you want to prevent pests from your home or are already struggling with them during winter, you can rely on us, Life After Bugs. We offer various Pest Control Services to help you with your pest problems.
We are located in Houston, Texas, but we also serve different areas near Houston. Call us today and let us save your day!