Bed bugs are known to be pesky and resistant critters. Removing them without a professional service can be difficult. However, verifying that your home is truly infested with bed bugs before you take any action is essential.
But how can you know if your home has a bed bug infestation?
Read further to know the signs of bed bug infestation.
Signs of Bed Bug Infestation
Bed bugs are tiny, brown, or brownish-colored insects that feed exclusively on the blood of people and other animals. Mature bed bugs are round and flat, about the size of an apple seed. Bed bug feed at night.
They feed for around 3 to 10 minutes before their bodies enlarge and turn reddish-brown. Although their bite is painless and often invisible, it usually results in itchy swelling.
If you suspect a bed bug infestation, here are signs you can look for to confirm.
- Dark brown spots on the sheets and mattresses
- A musty odor, which comes from the scent glands of the bed bugs
- Bloodstains on the bed sheets or pillowcases
- Finding actual bed bugs within the bed
- Exoskeleton and milky white-colored egg
DIY Methods to Remove Bed Bugs
If you are positive that there is a bed bug infestation in your home, eliminating them should be your priority. Bed bugs can reproduce quickly. If you want to try DIY in removing them, here are some relatively effective DIY methods you can use.
- Wash all bed sheets, linens, curtains, and even your clothing in hot water and dry them using the highest degree possible.
- Use dry heat for 30 minutes for things that are difficult to wash.
- Dry cleaning is also an option.
- To remove bed bugs and their eggs, scrub the mattress seams with a strong, stiff brush.
- Vacuum your bed and surrounding space with a disposable vacuum bag that may be disposed of immediately.
- To stop any surviving bed bugs from escaping, cover your mattress and box springs with a closely woven, zippered cover.
- Purchase a new mattress if your old one is severely infested.
- Avoid using pesticides because bed bugs are resistant to them. The chemical can be harmful to you and your family not to the bed bugs.
Some DIYs are effective, but most don’t work on bed bugs.
If you are struggling with bed bug infestation, it’s better to call a pest control service. Life After Bugs is the most reliable pest control service in Houston, Texas.
We service clients from Houston and also the residents near Houston, Texas.
If you want to get rid of that creepy crawlies in your home, don’t hesitate to call us!